Music Monday: That's What Friends Are For



It was about two weeks ago when I got the text.

"I think I have a 4 hour layover in Vegas tomorrow. You in town?"

It was one of my best friends from college. He actually had about a three and a half hour layover by the time everything was said and done, but I was kind enough to liberate him from the airport and take him to that bastion of every wayward traveler in Las Vegas: In-N-Out Burger.

It was nice to see him. I hadn't had a chance to see him in a couple of years. But it also brought to light a point that I hadn't really deeply considered.

As I've gotten older, it's become harder and harder for me to make friends.

I used to be a much more outgoing sort. I've always been a bit quiet and more inclined to sit back and observe things instead of actively jumping into the thick of things, but I was always willing to greet folks with a smile and engage them in conversation.

Now? It's harder. No question about it.

There are times I feel like I've regressed. I'm not as quick to come out of my shell in new situations. I'm more willing to sit back and observe things. I can crack wise when the situation calls for it and get a laugh or two with an innocent joke and smile, but I don't bond with people like I once did.

I've gone into more of a shell the last couple of years. Being out of work for the last two years, I retreated inward. I would go pick Ty up from school, and be friendly with some of the other parents, but I wasn't inclined to be best friends with anybody.

I kind of miss not having really, really close friends—maybe I'm just pining for the days that have gone by when I could call someone up, grab some beer and food at the local bar and just winnow the time away.

But there's a household to take care of, and homework to do and baseball practices and games...and now that I've returned to work, it's harder to stay on top of those things as it is. Oh, and they also cost money as well.

I still go out from time to time; I get to explore Las Vegas alone a few nights a year. But I'm usually doing it by myself. And while I don't mind the solitude, having a friend around would make things infinitely more enjoyable.

For now, though, I have to be content with utilizing Facebook and Twitter to keep tabs on what's happening. Even if I can't be there in person, I can be there in spirit and in words.

Comments

Popular Posts